Resistance welding is a process in which heat is generated at the interface by passing an electric current through it. It is performed under control time and pressure. The term is derived from the fact that the resistance between the workpiece and electrodes are used to generate the heat at the interface. This technology is used in the manufacturing industry of metal sheets and components. It has been part of industrial processes nowadays.
History of resistance welding
There was a time when metal welding was done by heating the metals to their melting points and then pressed together. Welding technology has advanced considerably after the launch of electricity. Resistance welding, arc welding, and gas welding are advanced forms of this phenomenon. Now ultrasonic, electronic beam and laser welding are also present. Resistance welding with enormous benefits has been contributing to the growth of industries for many years.
Principle of resistance welding
It works on simple principles. Force and current are applied through the electrodes. The resistance heat is generated at the interface of the metal parts. It results in the melt joints. Although the huge amount of current flows. Yet, there is no danger of electric shock. Because low voltage is present.
Features of resistance welding
• One of the interesting features of resistance welding is that it uses no flux. Such as solder. Welded parts are easily recycled.
• Ultraviolet rays are not generated during the process. So a neat and clean work site is Available
For more in regards to resistance welding have a look at our webpage.
• It is an easy operation to perform. Only pressing the buttons leads to automation. It does not require trained skills like arc welding and gas welding.
• It is a low cost and high volume production process. Welding can be performed efficiently not taking much time.
• The duration of the process is short. Workpieces are affected less by the heat.
• The optimization of the process depends upon the material and thickness of the part to be welded. The electric facility should be present due to the use of a large current.